Our Events Calendar contains a number of events that we think will be of particular interest to Practice Teachers and students. We list these events in good faith. Please contact the organisers directly to book your place. If you would like your event added to our calendar, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The engagement model: looking differently at learners with complex needs
5th February 2019, 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
This training workshop will present the engagement model as a form of personalised learning. It will shift the emphasis away from the learners' interests as a way of personalising learning and, instead, will look at the particular way(s) they engage.
You will be taught to analyse what is happening when learners are engaged, and how the information gained can then be used to motivate these learners in other contexts.
• Understanding the different elements within the engagement model that will assist in analysing how an individual engages
• Recognising the difficulties faced by those who find it hard to engage in learning
• Understanding the long-term nature of personalised support
• Using case studies to practise developing the model of engagement
• Key strategies for developing a learning plan, using the ways the student has engaged in activities.
About the trainer
Lindsay Graham has more than 15 years' experience of working in learning disability. She has worked to support those with additional support needs in independent living and in employment. However, for the past 10 years she has been working in education provision for young adults with complex needs, creating learning plans and resources, as well as training staff in teaching and learning strategies.
Lindsay has worked both in Scotland and internationally, for example, in India, where she worked with families to develop learning plans, and with local NGOs and schools in training staff and raising awareness of learning disability. Lindsay is currently Education Consultant with Your Learning Ability.
Cost to attend
From £79 for Children in Scotland members; from £99 for non-members.